My Warm-up

LIFE IS GOOD!

LIFE IS GOOD!

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Rower {Stroke Rate}





What is that little number in the bottom left hand corner of the rower monitor? That number is your stroke rate. So what's the stroke rate? The stroke rate is how many times you go back and forth on the rower in a minute. Some people think that a higher stroke rate, gives you a higher speed. But really the stroke rate and speed can vary entirely independently of each other. Stroke rates are more like cadence in running. If I wanted to row at a 2:00 split time (how long it takes me to go 500m), I could do it at 20spm or 30spm (strokes per minute). The power PER stroke is going to be much higher at 20spm than it is at 30spm, however, to achieve that same speed. The cardiovascular impact is going to be higher at 30spm. So, stroke rate can be used strategically. Do I want to give my legs as little rest? Then I'll row at a higher stroke rate. Is it more important I catch my breath? Then I'll lower my stroke rate and increase my power per stroke. When you can control your stroke rate, you will be more powerful and effective overall on the rower.

No comments:

Post a Comment