Thursday, September 2, 2010
Forearm Stand - Pincha Mayurasana
Type of pose: Inversion
Benefits: Strengthens the arms, shoulders, abdominals, and back; improves balance
Also Known As: Bent Arm Balance, Peacock Feather Pose
1. Come to the wall.
2. Bring the forearms and palms flat against the floor.
3. Bend the elbows, bringing the upper arms perpendicular to the forearms.
4. Come up into Downward Facing Dog with the legs.
5. Walk the feet in toward the hands as much as possible.
6. Bend one knee and begin to kick up with the opposite leg.
7. Note that the head stays up off the floor. The gaze should be down at the floor.
8. If you are able to get both legs up and invert fully, begin to work on taking the feet off the wall and balancing independently.
9. Come down and rest in Child's Pose.