My Warm-up

LIFE IS GOOD!

LIFE IS GOOD!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

To train or be trained


What if a coach set a program for his athletes with conditioning workouts, but he had entirely different goals for himself? Separate your goals from those of your athletes. As a coach, you should prepare athletes for their specific needs. Most coaches are not judged by their own athletic abilities. A coach is judged on his or her ability to teach their athletes. Past experience is important and relevant, but the experience should already be present, as it should be a prerequisite to earn the position. Five years from now, I might be training for a marathon or perhaps a triathlon. Wherever my passion leads me, I will be sure to target my goals on my own time. It will not interfere with my coaching. Your job is to make them the best that they can possibly be. If you are always trying to stay a step ahead, your priorities will interfere with the development of your athletes. When you train an athlete, he or she must come first. Don’t let your ego interfere with their development.

No comments:

Post a Comment