My Warm-up

LIFE IS GOOD!

LIFE IS GOOD!

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Being "Coachable"

To be coachable means “hearing” and “feeling” their resistance as useful feedback about your behavior, your impact on them. I spent a lot of time last week thinking about what it means to be a coach, and by default, a role model. I am serious about taking my training to the next level by attending more certifications and participating as a demonstrator and coach. In order to establish myself in those roles, I need to do more than just improve my coaching skills and log more training time. I also need to be coachable as an athlete. I was thinking about how so many people are very uncoachable. They don't want to listen to advice or tips on a better way. Coaching happens all the time. Most often, it's not from a professional coach. In fact, the best insights and advice usually come from informal or unexpected sources. Be more open-minded and listen to what people have to say. Not all advice is good advice, but at least you have the maturity to know the difference what is good and what is bad.
Symptoms of uncoachability:
-Challenging the credentials of the coach
-Announcing that you're being unfairly singled out
-Pointing out, angrily, that the last few times, the coach was wrong
-Identifying others who have succeeded without ever being coached
-Resisting a path merely because it was one identified by a coach
Are you coachable??

No comments:

Post a Comment