My Warm-up

LIFE IS GOOD!

LIFE IS GOOD!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Acupuncture




I decided to go and see a little Chinese woman who specializes in acupunture today. I still have heel pain and tendonitis. Ever since my pogo stick accident 12 days ago. Acupuncture involves the insertion of extremely thin needles through your skin, to various depths at different points on your body. Acupuncture originated in China thousands of years ago, but over the past two decades its popularity has grown within the United States. I saw a woman recommended to me in Tulsa, Ok. Although scientists don't fully understand how or why acupuncture works, some studies indicate that it may provide a number of medical benefits — from reducing pain to helping with chemotherapy-induced nausea. Acupuncture therapy usually involves a series of weekly or biweekly treatments in an outpatient setting. It's common to have up to 12 treatments in total. Although each acupuncture practitioner has his or her own unique style, each visit typically includes an exam and an assessment of your current condition, the insertion of needles, and a discussion about self-care tips. An acupuncture visit generally lasts about 30 minutes. Before the needles were placed, I layed down on a bed face up. I felt a brief, sharp sensation when the needle was inserted around the heel, but it ran through my whole body when she inserted in my forearm. It's common, however, to feel a deep aching sensation when the needle reaches the correct depth. As many as a dozen needles may need to be placed for each treatment. Once the needles are inserted, they're usually left in place for five to 20 minutes. After the treatment I had less pain than when I walked in. I'll update after a few more treatments. The Crossfit Regional Qualifer is in 17 days, so praying this helps. The Western explanation of acupuncture incorporates modern concepts of neuroscience, like a natural asprin. Many practitioners view the acupuncture points as places to stimulate nerves, muscles and connective tissue. This stimulation appears to boost the activity of your body's natural painkillers and increase blood flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment