My Warm-up

LIFE IS GOOD!

LIFE IS GOOD!

Monday, September 10, 2012

Deadlift vs Sumo Deadlift

QUESTION:

I have decided to include the deadlift into my workout. I know my form probably sucks, and I have tried both regualr deadlifts and sumo deadlifts. I have found sumos to "feel" easier, and it seems like I can do more weight. And I guess it stress more of the legs, which I need? So what are the differences between the two (in terms of muscle focus)? Is maintaining form easier with sumos?

ANSWER:

Great question and really it just depends on your goals. If you have aspirations to be a powerlifter, then play around and train both see which is more comfortable. I believe conventional is much more sports specific. You should be able to lift the most weight with regular deads than sumo. Although that doesn't mean sumo shouldn't be trained atleast occasionally as it is one of the best exercises for glutes and hams in my opinion. as they allow you to perform the exercise with less hip and ankle mobility, and they also ensure that the bar is starting a bit closer to the primary axis of rotation. (the hips)

No comments:

Post a Comment