My Warm-up

LIFE IS GOOD!

LIFE IS GOOD!

Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Zone Diet/Lifestyle



Diet is not a dirty word. It comes from the Greek root meaning "way of life". This is what the Zone Diet is. It's a way of life to help control our eating habits. The Zone Diet gives you the power to turn some genes on and turn other genes off. As a result, you feel your energy soar, watch your waistline shrink, and say goodbye to hunger. In the Zone you are now taking wellness into your own hands. Any diet that uses the word high or low to describe it is hormonally unsustainable. The only diet that can maintain hormonal balance for a lifetime must use the word moderate to describe it. That's what the Zone Diet is.
It's moderate in:

• Low-fat protein (chicken, beef, fish, eggs, and cheese)

• Low glycemic-load carbs(mostly fruits and vegetables)

• Heart-healthy monounsaturated fats (avacados, almonds ,cashews, and olive oil)

The Zone Diet is about balancing your hormones within a specific range to control hunger on fewer calories while still getting the proper nutrients your body needs for long-term health. The Zone Diet can best be described as a moderate-carbohydrate, moderate-protein, moderate fat diet(1-1-1). Basically 9 grams of carbs, 7 grams of protien, and 1.5 grams of fat all equal 1 block. I have been weighing my food for the last 6 months and have seen a dramatic change in my body and training. I always feel balanced, and have tons of energy. I eat like an elite athlete which is about 20-25 blocks everyday. This requires me to eat at 5 am and then every three hours throughout the whole day until I go to bed. I write down every meal that I eat and what's in it. I usually make Zone meals ahead of time and divide them up so I can reheat a balanced meal in the microwave for lunch. I can only explain so much without having to actually show you what to buy at the grocery store. I buy the Zone cook books and just start trying recipes. Check out the Crossfit Journal #21 and that really helps to break down the zone. I just feel like if you are working out, then nutrition should be number one in your life. Spend the time measuring and making all your food and watch the transformation. Food is like a drug and we put it in our bodies 6-8 times a day. Don't you think it's time to start caring that YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT?

3 comments:

  1. You are so right on with all this stuff man. Going to get The Zone books now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you had to adjust your block totals from your initial findings? I did a quick check from the zone book and I'm around 17 blocks and am constantly hungry. Still fine tuning it and not 100% zone friendly all the time, but working at it. How long on it before I should think about increasing the blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would increase your blocks to 20 and see how it affects your hunger and training. Some people double their fat intake. After 8 weeks of being on the Zone you should start to feel and see the difference. Remember if you don't eat in the Zone one meal it only takes 3 hours to get back in the zone.

    ReplyDelete